by Lela Demeter
When we first got pregnant, I never realized that having your baby would be like setting off a nuclear explosion in our marriage. First, we were two. And it was awesome. You were my best friend and everything else in between. We liked the same music and movies and you always could get me to laugh. We got along so well, we figured ‘why be with anybody else?’ So we got married. We both wanted children so we figured, ‘hey we could do this.’ So then when we became three that is when life really got started. Us became a team.
Having our son made me Superwoman. But you are the wind underneath my cape. Here’s why:
1) Now, I work outside the home and its because of you that I can go to work – you are taking care of getting baby to daycare.
2) Maybe you don’t see it, but when you play with the baby for five minutes so I can go to the bathroom or wash the dishes, that is priceless.
3) When I was on maternity leave, I took the midnight feedings, but when you get up in the middle of the night because I am going to work, that makes me feel like a million bucks.
4) Our son looks like you. He smiles like you. I love looking at the blueprint for what kind of man my boy will become.
5) You witnessed the miracle of childbirth from an angle I didn’t see. And you still hook up with me!!
6) You are the only other person on the earth who probably has the same amount of love for our baby as I do. And you think that when I talk about him, its really interesting.
7) You don’t care that I am wearing two day old sweats, haven’t combed my hair or even brushed my teeth on the weekend, because you haven’t either.
8) I could put the carseats in the car, but thank you for doing a good job of it.
9) I am glad we worked out our parenting strategy early. You are the bad cop and I will be the worse cop.
10) You are the kind of dad that I am proud to brag about to my friends.
I love you. Let’s do this kid thing again sometime.