by Lela Demeter
As my child gets closer to the huge first birthday, I thought I would jot down some random thoughts that I have learned in the long, strange trip that is parenthood.
- Your kid does have a distinctive scream.
- Your own parents are crazy because they raised kids and you will be that crazy one day too.
- Old ladies don’t stoop because of old age, they stoop because they have spent years reaching down to small children and lifting them up.
- The best strength training is your child. Just look at the gun I have in one arm.
- Your childhood begins and ends the moment you become a parent.
- You can cry and laugh when your child is laughing because it is the most beautiful thing in the world.
- You can fall in love with a tiny person who has no bowel control, can’t feed themself or speak a disconcernable language.
- Babies learn to smile at their mothers early so they get taken care of. Its very similar to the smile a spouse has when they do something wrong.
- Babies are like the very elderly. Both are helpless but are valuable and need love nonetheless.
- Being a parent makes you a better human being.
- You will sound like your mother. Deal with it.
- Being a parent is like being mentally ill.
Lela Demeter is an educator, technologist and mother of one.